Thursday, May 3, 2007

Bless You, Mama

As I'm sitting at the computer, Ben is downstairs with his therapist working. I sneezed and from down below I hear, "Bless You, Mama!". Everyday I hear new things I didn't know he knew! We are continuing to see DRAMATIC progress. Tho we still have our issues, don't get me wrong... but as his uncle Russ put it, "he's a totally different kid!"- thanks, uncle. We had his transition evaluation for sooner start, and Ben did really well. His standardized scores showed normal/age appropriate in all categories except peer interaction/social. That's the score that would qualify him for services through the public school system after he turn's three if we so choose it- the developmentally delayed preschool. That's the hard part about high functioning kids, sometimes they fall through the cracks- for example, his language test scores are age appropriate, although every time you ask him what he wants to eat, it's always hot dog, and he can't tell you what we saw at the zoo, and he'll repeat random phrases at inappropriate times. And we still have the stimming issue as well. Those are the things that the standardized tests don't pick up on and are not normal. So, we still have work to be done- but OH have we come a long ways!

I enrolled Ben in a "normal" preschool today for Fall. Two days a week 9-11:30am. I figure September is a long ways away... who knows what he'll be doing by then!

No comments: