Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What I learned in Chicago

Well, nothing short of a TON!
It was nice, but a bit overwhelming- a lot of information- I felt a bit like I was in medical school. Things I learned: Vaccines are bad! We will not be giving Ben any more vaccinations. If I had an infant, my advice would be to do them later- after age 1. They tend to give them too many too fast. The amounts of mercury is astounding. A disturbing book I started reading "Evidence of Harm" by David Kirby. Nothing short of "WOW".

I also learned a lot about the biomedical piece of autism. And that this is as important or even more important than any other intervention. This is figuring out with a doc exactly what is going on in Benjamin's body and how to fix it to improve neurological functioning. This can be in the form of diet, supplements, getting rid of metals (chelation), finding any yeast or fungal issues in the body, treating any "gut" issues, etc... 80% of autistic children have some sort of "gut" issue! I didn't know that! Some of this we're already doing, but I found out that there's so much more we can do!

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy- this was a new one on me. But the results seemed really good for a lot of kids! Something worth looking into.

I guess most of all I learned that there is no one "quick fix". What works on one child may not work on the next. The experts say that they have never seen the protocol look the same for two children. They will all respond differently to each intervention. I guess you just have to have a "try it and see" approach.

It was nice to meet some other families and know that they are going through the same issues that you are. It was nice for people to be able to actually relate. And it was nice to meet some parents of the "recovered" children. Children no longer diagnosed as autistic. There is hope!

No comments: